Domestic Animal Business
A Domestic Animal Business Permit is required from Council if you wish to conduct a business such as a:
- pet shop
- pet boarding establishment for cats or dogs
- breeding and rearing establishment for cats or dogs
- dog training establishment
- animal shelter.
These businesses must comply with the requirements of the relevant State Government Code of Practice that sets out guidelines on how these businesses must operate.
Our Animal Management Officers annually inspect all Domestic Animal Businesses to ensure compliance with the Code of Practice.
Visit the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources for further information.
The Domestic Animal Business Permit must be applied for, and renewed, by 10 April each year.
To apply, go to eservices or complete the DAB-New-Registration-Application(DOC, 49KB)
Applications can be submitted and paid for in person or by post.
Visit one of our service centres between 8.30am – 5pm, Monday to Friday, to pay via cash, cheque, credit card or EFTPOS
- Malvern Town Hall (corner High Street and Glenferrie Road, Malvern)
- Prahran Town Hall (corner Chapel Street and Greville Street, Prahran)
Make cheques/money orders payable to City of Stonnington and post to:
City of Stonnington
PO Box 21
Prahran VIC 3181
Purpose of the Permit
Under the Domestic Animals Act 1994, it is a requirement that all Domestic Animal Businesses are registered with Council.
The permit approves the enterprise to conduct a business selling, buying, rearing, training or boarding animals. The permit specifies certain conditions which include:
- type of animals permitted
- number of animals permitted
- physical arrangements/cages required
- other conditions considered reasonable in the circumstances.
Failure to maintain full compliance with the conditions of the permit could lead to withdrawal or cancellation of the existing Domestic Animal Business Permit or to non-issuance of a future permit.