Work Experience Programs
Work Experience Programs
With over 100 diverse services, local government is the best place to gain rewarding, fulfilling and inspiring work experience and there is no better place than the City of Stonnington! You will be in the driver’s seat of your work placement and have the opportunity to work on stimulating and diverse work tasks, whilst gaining invaluable networking experience with a group of dedicated, supportive and like-minded (career-focused) individuals – our fantastic staff! Plus we have a lot of fun!
Please note that Council is unable to process any new requests for work experience until after July 2017.
If you are a secondary school student considering a career in local government or a post-secondary student interested in a work placement, please be aware that placements for all persons under 18 years old are currently on hold while Council implements new measures to Child Safe Standards. These new measures will ensure that Council complies with the new Standards, which aim to protect young children in the work place. Once Council is satisfied that it has met these child safety standards, the program will recommence. Please regularly check this page to keep-to-date with the latest information on Council’s Workplace Experience Program. For more information about the new Child Safe Standards, please visit the Department of Human Services www.dhs.vic.gov.au.
Am I eligible for a work placement with City of Stonnington?
If you fit into one of the categories below, then that’s a great start!
- You’re a secondary school student; or
- Completing work experience as part of the Duke of Edinburgh; or
- You’re a University or TAFE student and need to do a work placement as part of a course requirement; or
- You’re part of another training organisation and need to do a work placement as part of a course requirement
Unfortunately we need to make sure you’re covered by insurance, so if you don’t fit into one of the above categories (eg you have finished your course or are looking to volunteer), sadly we can’t assist you. But keep an eye on our Careers website for employment opportunities you might be interested in.
If you are interested in volunteering with an organisation within the City of Stonnington, please check out the available opportunities.
I fit into one of the above categories, now what?
Stonnington receives a large number of requests for work experience - after all, we are one of the best Council’s around, just ask our staff! For this reason, we aren’t able to accommodate everyone although we try our best.
To improve your chances of receiving a work placement and to help us out, please provide as much detail as possible regarding your requested placement.
We also require a minimum of 6 weeks to organise a work placement with the relevant manager – so make sure you get in early!
You will need to:
- For secondary school students, complete this form
- For tertiary students, complete this form
- Attach work experience arrangement form or any forms from your institution of study including confirmation of insurance
- Attach your resume and copies of required licenses such as a Working with Children Check or Police Check (only for positions that require this).
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org