Busking is to perform or provide some form of entertainment (not service) in the street for passers-by. It does not involve a set fee for a return service.
To perform as a busker in the City of Stonnington you must obtain a permit. Generally persons categorised as buskers include music performers, singers and comedians. Buskers do not include tarot readers, fortune tellers or sketch artists, these are considered hawkers.
Apply for a busking permit
Application form for a Busking Permit(PDF, 133KB)
Permits are issued for the following 6 month cycles:
- 1 October to 31 March
- 1 April to 30 September
When applying, please ensure you:
- a complete application form and submit without payment
- agree to comply with permit conditions and the Stonnington footpath trading and awnings policy 2013(PDF, 1MB)
- understand that administration will contact you (the applicant) with a reference number upon approval and payment is required prior before permit is issued.
- busking groups of more than six people is not permitted without special approval
- the permit holder must ensure they hold a current permit to Busk in the City of Stonnington
- busking in front of or around Town Halls and other Council buildings is generally not permitted during business hours
- no amplified music or use of percussion type instruments is permitted
- busking will only be permitted between 7:00am and 11:00pm daily and
- children under the age of 13 must be accompanied by a person over the age of 16 and have with them parental or guardian written permission
Fee and Lodgement
For current fees, please refer to the Footpath Trading and Local Laws Fee Schedule(PDF, 126KB).
It is the responsibility of the permit holder to apply for a new permit every six months and ensure the renewal and ensure they hold a current permit to busk within the City of Stonnington.