Graffiti and Billposters
The City of Stonnington has a strong commitment to addressing the problem of illegal graffiti and billposting through eradication, enforcement, engagement and education.
Residents who see billposters being plastered on poles or outdoor furniture or graffiti are encouraged to notify Council's Service Centre on 8290 1333 or their nearest police station.
What is graffiti?
Graffiti is a deliberate act of marking or defacing another person’s property without permission. The materials commonly used for graffiti are spray cans, felt tipped pens and sharp instruments.
Graffiti is a criminal offence and different types of graffiti include:
- conventional graffiti, often isolated or spontaneous acts
- tag graffiti, ranging from high-volume simple hits to complex street markings
- ideological graffiti, such as political graffiti including political messages or slogans about an issue, or hate graffiti
- gang graffiti, used by gangs to mark turf which can also include large, mural-style works that may incorporate a signature.
What can residents do?
To prevent graffiti:
- do not provide a canvas for graffiti by building a blank wall, rather build fencing that can be seen through to create a sense of openness.
- use textured or rough surfaces to make it difficult to apply paint or pens.
- use dark coloured materials on surfaces.
- use anti-graffiti coatings to ensure easy removal.
- plant fast-growing vines or spiky plants like bougainvillea.
- install sensor lighting.
- maintain your property. Poorly maintained properties attract graffiti.
What can business owners do?
Business owners are encouraged to refer to the Victorian graffiti laws and download a Retailer’s Kit from the Department of Justice website.
Refer to the graffiti factsheet(DOC, 44KB) for more information.
Remove graffiti and billposters
The City of Stonnington is committed to removing graffiti from our public places and spaces as quickly as possible.
Please contact Council via the Graffiti Hotline on 1800 067 072 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to report billposting or graffiti for removal.