Skips on Roads or Council Land

A skip bin permit must be obtained before the placement of a bulk rubbish container on a road or Council land. It is required for public safety, amenity, and drainage and to avoid potential damage to road surfaces. For these reasons Council considers each skip bin application individually.

Skip/bin supplier registration process

Council requires suppliers of skips or bins to enter into a formal agreement with Council. Suppliers who enter into the agreement will be issued Local Law permits.

Agreement with skip bin supplier(DOC, 2MB)

Skip information sheet(PDF, 293KB)

Apply for a skip bin permit

The skip bin company must apply for the permit as it is the responsible person. Applications take approximately three days to assess.

Application Form to place a skip/bin on Council Land(DOC, 1010KB)

We now accept online applications for 'Building and Local Law Permits' via e-services.

Register here for online application access.

The skip bin company must provide:

  1. a completed application form for the required duration and applicable fee

               a)      1—3 days

               b)      4—7 days

               c)       8—31 days

  1. evidence of a public liability insurance policy with minimum cover of $5 million and agreement to maintain the cover for the period of the permit.

Please note:

  • The location of the skip bin must comply with the requirements of VicRoads Code of Practice for the Placement of Waste Bins on Roadsides
  • No overnight bins are permitted in Chapel Street, Commercial Road, and Toorak Road between Rockley Road and Punt Road and, on occasion, other roads
  • Placement of a skip bin on a road or Council land without a permit may incur an infringement notice with a penalty of up to $200 in each case.

Fee and lodgment 

Applications can be submitted to Council's Building and Local Laws Services Unit. Click here for contact/lodgment information.

For current fees, please refer to the Building Local Laws Fee Schedule.(PDF, 56KB)