Informed decision making
In line with our Stonnington Recreation Strategy, Council has sought to identify a suitable site to construct a four-court indoor stadium with associated car parking, court-side seating and change room facilities.
In December 2016 Council passed a motion confirming the Chadstone Bowls Club site on Chadstone Road, Malvern East as the preferred location for a feasibility study that will investigate the merit of building a $25 million, multi-function indoor sports stadium catering to netball, basketball and other sporting users from across the municipality.
This feasibility study will provide Council with expert opinion, independent data and community feedback in order to make an informed decision on the site’s suitability for an indoor stadium. The study will include detailed traffic and parking analysis of the streets around the bowls club and Percy Treyvaud Memorial Park.
On 10 July 2017 Council passed a motion to consider three possible alternate sites for an indoor stadium. These sites were land within the Malvern Valley Golf Course, Orrong-Romanis Reserve, and the car park opposite the East Malvern RSL Club. A report on these three sites was presented to Council on Monday 4 September. This report is available to read and will form part of the final feasibility study.
- Needs analysis concluded - March 2015
- Preliminary site investigations commenced - May 2015
- Council resolves preferred site for further investigation - December 2016
- Feasibility study commences (includes initial community consultation) - February 2017
- Council motion to consider three possible alternate sites - land within Malvern Valley Golf Course, Orrong-Romanis Reserve, and the car park opposite the East Malvern RSL Club - July 2017
- Report on assessment of three alternate sites presented to Council – September 2017
- Final feasibility Study presented to Council – by 20 November 2017
- Community consultation expected depending on Council decision - November and December 2017
- Final project proposal considered - March 2018
- Next steps pending Council decision - 2018
Prior to the initial selection of the Chadstone Bowls Club as the preferred location for the Stonnington Indoor Sports Stadium, Council considered potential sites across the municipality.
As Stonnington has the second lowest amount of open space per capita of all Victorian councils, existing sports grounds and open space were not considered suitable. This left just a handful of sites, of which the Chadstone Bowls Club was the most suitable.
Council is committed to ensuring the members of the Chadstone Bowls Club can continue to play lawn bowls. Options for a new facility within Stonnington will be explored as part of the feasibility study.
Engagement and consultation
Council is listening to the community and we want to assure residents that no final decision has been made. The feasibility study is vital to helping Council make a decision that’s in the interests of all Stonnington residents, sporting clubs and sportspeople.
During June and July, as part of the feasibility study, Council held a series of community consultation forums and conducted an online survey. Future community engagement and consultation opportunities will be announced on Connect Stonnington. You can also register for email updates.