History of Prahran Aquatic Centre
In 1924, the Prahran Council purchased land adjacent to the existing Princes Gardens along Essex Street, Prahran. A children’s playground was built on the site, together with a large wading pool (pictured below).
Almost 40 years later, in 1962, the Prahran Council announced the construction of a new outdoor 50m swimming pool on the site. Designed by architects Leslie M. Perrot & Partners, the new ‘Prahran Pool’ was to be opened as a 'seasonal' pool during the Summer months. The project also included a kiosk, residence and grandstand for school swimming carnivals. The Mayor of Prahran laid the foundation stone on 6 May 1963 to officially open the centre, with the pool opening to the public in December of that year.
In the early 1990s the Prahran Pool was renamed the 'Prahran Aquatic Centre' following the construction of new aquatic facilities including a spa, sauna and steam room.
In 2007 the centre opening hours were extended to include several hours per day during the winter months, increasing access and opportunities for lap swimmers.