Early Years Services
The City of Stonnington provides quality care and education for children aged three months to five years. At each of our sites we embrace the individuality of each child and family, and provide learning experiences that foster independence and a sense of connectedness within the community.
We offer a range of education and care options that provide families with choice and flexibility, reliability and affordability. These include long day care, occasional care and three–five year-old kindergarten services.
Our aim is to provide:
- a range of affordable, high quality education and care options to meet needs of parents who live, work or study in the City of Stonnington
- high quality care, as defined by Australian Government standards
- a program that is culturally sensitive and developmentally appropriate, and based on the individual needs of children and the diversity of families
- practical support for families supporting parents as contributors to the program
- a safe, happy, stimulating and aesthetically pleasing environment
- a service that is cohesive, efficient and financially viable, while meeting regulatory requirements and funding guidelines
Stonnington’s Early Years Services value and respect children and families as individuals, and provide nurturing, supportive, welcoming, safe and secure places for children to learn, grow and be.
We acknowledge the right of children to learn at their own pace and in their own way and we will provide experiences for all children and areas of development.
We recognise that children learn through play and we will provide a play-based program to maximise each child's potential.
We provide opportunities to empower children to be effective communicators and make positive choices.
We believe in providing a child safe environment that encourages children to be aware of their rights as citizens.
We will work with our families and children, by raising their awareness of sustainability and engaging in the environment through our practices, conversations and resources.
We foster children’s independence, resilience and confidence providing them with skills that will be carried through life.
We nurture children through positive and engaging interactions to become thriving individuals.
- We believe that the family is the most important relationship for the child.
- We work in partnership with families to support children's learning, development and wellbeing.
- We respect the choices that each family makes, acknowledging their culture, religion and beliefs.
- We provide services that are reflective of diversity and culture and believe our programs are enriched by the differences that make us a community.
Our role is to provide high quality, child safe and accessible services to meet the needs of the community and support educators with the knowledge, education and tools to undertake their valuable role.
We have four Council-owned and operated centres based in Stonnington.