Council is proud of its unique initiative to encourage community building and a safe, fun and friendly environment for residents to get to know one another. Stonnington's program called ‘Greet the Street’ provides an opportunity for residents to come together, build community spirit and promote a greater sense of safety.
To assist you in organising your street party, Council has collated information to help you to plan a fun and safe street party. This includes:
If your street party is approved, Council will support your party in several ways, including:
- Prepare a Traffic Management Plan for closing your street
- Inform affected residents about the street closure
- Notify emergency services, including Fire, Police, Ambulance
- Issue a permit to hold a street party and consume liquor in a public place
- Organise public liability insurance for your party, on the condition that you abide by the street party conditions
- Provide (for loan) a street party safety kit that includes a fire blanket, basic first aid items, torch and barrier tape
- Install barriers and close the street on the day of your party and remove the barriers at the end of the party
Don’t forget to allow yourself at least four weeks to get approval to hold your event.
Christmas and New Year street party applications close 31st October 2016.
If you would like more information, please contact our Service Centre on 8290 1333.
Have a safe and fun Greet the Street party!