Council provide a weekly garbage collection service. Waste placed in this bin is taken
You can choose a 120 or 240 Litre bin for household garbage.
Visit Services Near Me to search for your property's waste and recycling collection dates.
Items that CAN be placed in your garbage bin for disposal
If items can’t be reused, recycled or composted, please place them in your garbage bin.
Items that CAN'T be placed in your garbage bin for disposal
|any other liquids
|unwrapped vacuum dust
|timber and other building materials
- no extra bags or items left beside the bin will be collected
- don't overfill the bin and keep the lid closed as this can lead to litter on our streets
- bag your domestic garbage to prevent spillage during collection
- maximum bin weight is 60 kg.
Bin placement and collection times
Bins should be placed out on the nature strip:
- parallel to the kerb with the lid opening onto the road
- away from overhead trees
- away from power poles or street signs
- away from parked cars
- spaced at least 30 cm away from other bins.
Bins will be collected from the following times:
- 4.30am weekdays on main roads and commercial shopping strips
- 6am weekdays on residential streets
Council's Local Law, introduced in 2004, states:
- bins must be placed on the nature strip or footpath in front of your property
- garbage bins can be placed out at 3pm the day before collection and must be returned before midnight the day of collection
- contents of your bin must not exceed 60kg.
The Local Law was introduced to maintain pedestrian and disabled access and community safety, particularly in parts of the city where the streets are narrow.
Need a new bin?
Complete the application form below and return to Council via post at PO Box 21, Prahran VIC 3181 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Stolen or missing bins
To arrange a replacement bin, complete the statutory declaration form and bin application form and return to Council's Service Centre.
Missing Bin Statutory Declaration(PDF, 29KB)