Helping business navigate COVID-19
There is a range of support and advice from all levels of government available to businesses dealing with the impact of COVID-19.
May-June lockdown, advice and information
Visit the Victorian Government's COVID-19 information hub for details about the snap lockdown from Friday 28 May.
Their advice includes:
A targeted Circuit Breaker Business Support Package is also available for small to medium sized businesses.
Changing QR code requirements
It is now mandatory for customer-facing industries that require checking-in to use the free Victorian Government QR Code Service. The full list of industries can be found at Checking in with QR Codes.
Our Public Health team can help you transition to the new QR code service, email email@example.com if you'd like some assistance.
Financial and mental health support and advice
Partners in Wellbeing offer businesses professional advice and mental health support through wellbeing coaching to help manage business and personal issues, with qualified financial counsellors available to offer advice, information and support on how to manage debt and financial issues.
If you are in an emergency or at immediate risk of harm to yourself or others, call Triple Zero (000).
Victorian Government support
Please note that support packages are being introduced or adapted regularly, this information was last updated on 6 April 2021, for the most up-to-date information visit the Victorian Government website.
The Victorian Government has a number of support programs for business owners, including:
There may be other support available for your business, check the Business Victoria website for more information.
Advice regarding your commercial tenancy
The Victorian Small Business Commission (VSBC) has developed digital materials and fact sheets to support people in small business. These include leasing advice on reaching rent relief agreements for both landlords and tenants.
Australian Government support
The Australia Government also has a range of support programs for different business industries, business.gov.au has details and advice on how to apply.
City of Stonnington support
Permit fee refunds
We refunded or waived over $1m of fees for businesses with food, footpath trading and health (excluding Category 3) permits – some waivers will stay in place until 30 June 2021. Businesses have been contacted directly regarding this support.
Additional local support
- Extra investment in marketing and promotion of our precincts during the recovery phase.
- Free permits and infrastructure for over 150 businesses to use additional space outside for trading.
- A dedicated mental health support program for businesses with Star Health.
- Access to independent business advice through various diagnostic and mentoring programs.
- Additional investment in our precinct associations.
- Events and re-activations to bring our shopping precincts back to life like Robot SPACEland, Fashion on High Street, Lighting Up The Dark, Glow Pop-up Series, our street performers program and additional Christmas pop-ups like roaming entertainment.
- Rent relief for food businesses operating within Council buildings.
- Accelerated payment terms for suppliers.
- Relaxed enforcement of some parking restrictions and fee waivers at some Council owned car parks during times of lockdown.
- Hotline to help businesses access local, state and federal support services.
- Strengthening our Business Concierge Service.
- Stronger support of businesses through our social media channels.
In addition to this, a $250,000 COVID-19 Quick Response Grant Program was delivered to businesses in late 2020, this funding has been exhausted.