Outdoor dining in Stonnington
We responded to the State Government's COVID-19 restrictions by leading the charge with an outdoor dining revolution.
Together with local businesses, we rolled out COVID-safe outdoor dining experiences with:
- extended footpath trading at over 100 venues
- 50 roadside dining sites using on-street car parks
- partially closing Greville Street, Prahran and Beatty Avenue, Armadale for the full-on street dining experience.
Through out March and April we asked the community what you thought of the program, through:
- Over 800 online surveys of businesses, visitors and residents
- 300 intercept surveys with shoppers and diners in our precincts
- Detailed surveys with businesses in the program
- An economic analysis of the program in partnership with the City of Melbourne and City of Yarra
What we heard
- 92% of respondents strongly supporting continued outdoor dining, including Council creating more outdoor dining spaces by reimagining on-street parking bays.
- 88% of respondents believing extended outdoor dining does, or may, make it more likely people will eat or drink in the area.
- Over 80% of people surveyed through intercept surveys had dined at the outdoor area of a Stonnington bar, cafe or restaurant since COVID restrictions were lifted in late 2020.
- 92% of businesses in the outdoor dining program felt it created a postive atmosphere, as did 75% of businesses not in the program.
- 78% of businesses in the outdoor dining program stated it increased their revenue.
There was also some negative feedback around the impact on neighbouring businesses where car parking had been re-imagined, the impact of street closures on nearby businesses and the look and feel of the roadside dining structures. All of which will be reviewed in the future of the program.
We've recently extended permits for businesses using on-street car parking spaces for outdoor dining where safe and practicable to do so, and we look forward to sharing more about our plans for the future of outdoor dining Stonnington soon.