Accommodation Businesses

Under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, all prescribed accommodation premises and rooming houses must be registered with the Council. This includes:

  • residential accommodation
  • hotels and motels
  • hostels
  • student dormitories
  • holiday camps
  • rooming houses(PDF, 163KB) (where four or more people are accommodated at any one time).

If you are starting, growing or changing a business and unsure about what permits you require. Complete our small business self assessment tool to determine whether a permit is required and learn about the support provided by our business concierge service. Our Business Permit Applications Guidelines may also be useful.

Visit the Consumer Affairs Victoria website for further information about the minimum requirements set out in the Residential Tenancies Standards.

Starting a new business

Before construction or operation of the business can begin, proprietors must submit an Application for Plans Approval(PDF, 83KB) , accompanied by two copies of floor plans as shown on the application form.

Your plans will be assessed by an Environmental Health Officer, who will also conduct a final inspection of the premises before issuing a registration application form.

Approvals from other authorities

Our Building Department should be consulted at this stage to ensure your business meets requirements regarding proposed building works, fire safety and disability requirements.

The Planning Department should also be consulted for requirements of Council’s Planning Scheme, such as change-of-use permits, signage and car parking provisions.

  • Building: 8290 3218
  • Planning: 8290 3329

Contact information

For more information about the prescribed accommodation, please contact us to speak with an Environmental Health Officer:

Office hours: Monday to Friday between 8.30am – 5pm

Phone: 8290 3393