Purchasing an Existing Food Business

If you are purchasing an existing food business, you will need to transfer the registration under the Food Act 1984 into your company name. In order to transfer the registration, ensure the processes listed below are completed.

Pre-purchase assessment

Property enquiry report request(PDF, 896KB)  form can be submitted to our Environmental Health Unit. The current proprietor’s consent to release information to the requestor must also to be submitted, along with payment of the required fee for the assessment and subsequent report.

An Environmental Health Officer will assess the premises and forward you a report within approximately five working days.

The current proprietor and proposed proprietor must decide who will action any outstanding items as listed in the report.

Transferring registration

Once settlement is finalised, you must submit an Application to Transfer Food Business Registration(PDF, 23KB). When this has been accepted and payment has been received, an Environmental Health Officer will inspect your food business. A Certificate of Registration under the Food Act 1984 will be granted on satisfactory completion of the inspection.

Contact information

For more information or advice on starting a new food business, please contact us to speak with an Environmental Health Office:

Office hours: Monday to Friday between 8.30am – 5pm

Phone: 8290 3393

Email: health@stonnington.vic.gov.au