Como Park and Como Park North
Located next to the Yarra River and near the historic Como house, Como Park is famous for it's vast, sloping lawns and scenic views.
Como Park North continues over Alexandra Avenue, situated next to the popular Kanteen cafe on the river bank.
The parks feature a BBQ area, playground, sports oval, outdoor exercise equipment, bike path and a dog park.
In 1847 Sir Edward Williams, a lawyer, politician and later Judge of the first Supreme Court of Victoria, purchased land extending from the Yarra River to Toorak Road. Its lake and water vistas inspired Williams to name it after Lake Como in Italy, where he had proposed to his wife, Jessie.
Over time, the lake became a swamp when the level of the Yarra River was lowered. In 1921, Prahran Council purchased 35 acres from then owners and spent many years draining the swamp and re-grading the land. The site was transformed into a public park and recreation ground and opened to the public in 1934.
For more information, contact the Stonnington History Centre.
The nearest public transport services are:
- Bus route 605 along Bruce Street
- Tram route 58 along Toorak Road.
Use Public Transport Victoria's Journey planner.
305-325 William Road, South Yarra 3141 View Map