Home to Chapel Off Chapel, Princes Gardens is a popular park for recreation, relaxation and entertainment. The gardens feature a skate park, tennis courts, playground, shaded areas and ample lawns.
Princes Gardens are located next to the Prahran Aquatic Centre and Princes Close Childcare Centre.
Contact Princes Gardens Tennis Courts directly to make a court booking.
Originally a timber yard and saw mill, Prahran Council purchased the grounds in 1906 to turn it into public gardens. Originally called Malvern Road Gardens, it was renamed Princes Gardens in 1921 to commemorate the visit of Edward, Prince of Wales, the year before.
In 1924, Council purchased additional land for a children’s playground and wading pool, installing the ornamental gates at the Malvern Road entrance to the gardens at the same time. Prahran Swimming Pool replaced the wading pool and opened in 1964.
The Independent Church, built in 1859, now heritage registered, was purchased by Council in the early 1990s and transformed into Chapel Off Chapel.
In 1997, Council created the Stained Glass Garden to remember those who died as a result of serving in the Vietnam War.
For more information, contact Stonnington History Centre.
The nearest public transport services are:
Use Public Transport Victoria's Journey planner.
Little Chapel Street, Prahran 3181 View Map