Do you know an outstanding volunteer in Stonnington who deserves some recognition? We want to hear about them.
We are calling for nominations for our first annual City of Stonnington Volunteer Awards.
The awards will celebrate people and community groups whose commitment to volunteering makes a difference to our local community, positively impacts the lives of others and makes our city a better place to live.
Nominations may be made to the following award categories:
Community Service – Recognising volunteer activities which support community members and promote inclusion, respect and equity. Examples may include: participation in local groups, involvement with charity and non-profit organisations, fundraising, advocating for change and being a mentor or positive role model for others.
Young Person – Recognising volunteers aged under 26 years who make a positive contribution in their community. Examples may include: participation in local groups, involvement with charity and non-profit organisations, fundraising, advocating for change and being a mentor or positive role model for others.
Community Group – Recognising the impact of services and opportunities provided by not for profit groups for the Stonnington community. Examples include: neighbourhood houses, charitable, sporting clubs and children’s services.
Sport – Recognising the work of individuals in sporting clubs or groups who show commitment to enhancing community health and fitness. Examples may include: development programs, demonstrating open and inclusive club culture and initiating innovative activities.
Environmental Sustainability – Recognising commitment to environmental sustainability and climate health. Examples may include: initiating a project to reduce energy use, promoting recycling or protect local wildlife, engaging with the community through workshops, working bees or meetings and raising awareness about sustainability issues.
Arts and Culture – Recognising volunteers that support the creative sector. Examples may include: providing services and expertise to support artistic outcomes across not for profit theatre, galleries, films, performances, developing networks and advocacy for arts and culture groups, being a mentor or positive role model within the local arts sector and showing commitment to enhancing diversity and inclusivity across the arts.
Nominees don’t need to live in Stonnington, but must have made a substantial contribution to the municipality through their volunteering.
Community Groups must be a group active within Stonnington with at least four members.
Nominees for the Young Person award must be aged 25 years or younger at 30 July 2021.
Nominees cannot be previous winners of a City of Stonnington Citizen of the Year, Young Citizen of the Year or Community Group of the Year award.
The awards will recognise people who have made an outstanding achievement or contribution towards our community through their hard work and dedication to volunteering. Nominations will need to address:
- How the nominee has made an outstanding contribution, through volunteering, to the Stonnington community throughout 2020 and/or over a number of years.
- How the nominee shows leadership or acts as a positive role model for other community members or organisations.
- How the nominee has made a positive impact on the lives of others
- Any other awards received by the nominee.
Nominations must include the name of someone (other than the person nominating) who is familiar with the achievements in the nomination who can act as a referee.
Supporting materials, such as photographs, media, promotional materials or letters of support can also be supplied to strengthen the application.
Nominations will be considered by an evaluation panel consisting of City of Stonnington Councillors and community representatives.
The awards will be presented at an event in October, details of this event will be confirmed within any COVID-19 restrictions in place at the time.
Complete the online form below to submit a nomination.
For assistance or to request a paper version of the application form, contact us on 8290 1333.
Click here to view form.
- These awards are for volunteers only, nominees cannot receive payment for the work they are being nominated for.
- Nominations must be on the official form (only one nomination per form).
- Entries open on Thursday 31 July and all entries must be received by Tuesday 31 August.
- Both individuals and organisations may submit nominations.
- All nomination information and material submitted remains the property of the City of Stonnington.
- All enquiries and submitted information in regard to the awards will remain confidential (with the exception of winners) unless permission is obtained by the City of Stonnington.
- Individuals or groups who are nominated may be considered for a category other than the one they are nominated in.
- Nominees, nominators or referees may be contacted for further information by City of Stonnington staff.
- The City of Stonnington will notify all nominees of their nomination within two weeks of receiving a nomination. At this time, nominees will receive a copy of their official nomination form, including the names of their nominator and referee.
- The City of Stonnington will conduct a background check for all nominees, of information available on the public record.
- The decision of the City of Stonnington in relation to the awards is final and no correspondence will be entered into relating to the decision.
- City of Stonnington staff or Councillors are not eligible.