Press Release | 7 May 2019
City of Stonnington Council has endorsed a Masterplan for Percy Treyvaud Memorial Park in Malvern East that will guide development of new community sporting facilities and park improvements for casual users.
City of Stonnington Mayor, Cr Steve Stefanopoulos, said this delivers much needed indoor courts for netball and basketball while providing new facilities for existing sporting clubs.
“We’ve consulted extensively with residents, current and future sporting users and the community when developing this Masterplan – more than any other project that I’ve been part of,” said Cr Stefanopoulos.
“In response to encouraging participation growth we need high quality indoor sports courts that will allow local basketball and netball clubs and indoor sporting competitions to prosper.
“With a growing population in Stonnington we need to continue to provide additional sporting facilities, this is an investment in community sport.
“As well as new indoor courts, local clubs already using the park will also receive new facilities – the Chadstone Bowls Club, Chadstone Lacrosse Club, Chadstone Recreation and Civic Club, Chadstone Tennis Club and East Malvern Tooronga Cricket Club.
“The budget of over $40m responds to feedback to incorporate additional underground parking onsite, provide new facilities for sporting clubs who call Percy Treyvaud Memorial Park home, build four high quality indoor sports courts and improvements throughout the park for casual users.
“The Masterplan also delivers over 1,000m² of additional public open space, accessible pathways, public seating, extensive tree planting and community fitness equipment throughout the park.
“Council thanks the people who took the time to provide feedback during consultation, in particular the resident representatives who were part of our project Stakeholder Group.
“I would also like to thank the sporting peak bodies who reviewed, provided feedback and endorsed our plans – Associated Catholic Colleges, Associated Grammar Schools of Victoria, Associated Public Schools of Victoria, Australian Futsal Association, Australian Olympic Committee, Badminton Australia, Badminton Victoria, Basketball Victoria, Bowls Victoria, Cricket Australia, Cricket Victoria, Girls Sport Victoria, Hawthorn Basketball Australia, Lacrosse Victoria, Netball Victoria, Table Tennis Victoria, Tennis Australia, Tennis Victoria, VicSport, Volleyball Australia and Volleyball Victoria” added Cr Stefanopoulos.
New and upgraded sporting facilities include:
- four new indoor sports courts designed to Netball Victoria and Basketball Victoria guidelines;
- two new seven rink synthetic bowling greens with floodlighting for Chadstone Bowls Club;
- seven new tennis courts - five synthetic clay and two plexiplave with floodlighting for Chadstone Tennis Club;
- lacrosse fields for Chadstone Lacrosse club (winter) and cricket ovals for East Malvern Tooronga Cricket Club (summer) with male and female change rooms
- social spaces for all sports.
Park improvements include:
- extensive tree replanting and landscape improvements;
- more accessible pedestrian pathways and the creation of a loop path;
- installation of fitness stations at the southern end of the park;
- additional public seating.
Detailed design work in preparation for construction is expected to be completed by the end of 2019 with works expected to start in 2020, visit stonnington.vic.gov.au/ptmp for information.