Private building surveyor information

Seeking occupancy permit details

As a private building surveyor you may require information about existing occupancy permits, old certificates of occupancy or essential safety measure determinations. This information can be important when making your own assessments.

Regulation 51 enables any person to make such a request.

Stonnington has a complete listing and ready access to copies.

Seeking information about other building surveyors carrying out functions

As a private building surveyor being offered appointment you may want to check that no other building surveyor has started carying out functions under the Building Act for the same work. Contact us for this information.

Note: although we attempt to alert private building surveyors where there appears to be a double appointment, we are not under direct statutory duty to do this and you should not rely on us to do so.

Statutory duty rests on the owner and the private building surveyor offered the appointment.

Seeking information about outstanding building notices and orders

We strongly recommend that before accepting any appointment, private building surveyors should check whether there are any outstanding building notices or orders in relation to the property. This ensures that there are no overlapping activities or inconsistent decisions.

Regulation 51 enables any person to make such a request. We are currently planning a free on-line register of current notices and orders.

Seeking details of essential safety measures

You can request information about any previous safety and essential service listings in relation to a site. Stonnington has ready access to complete records as provided by previous building surveyors.

Regulation 51 enables any person to make such a request.

Cancellation or lapsing of permits and termination of building work

In the case of termination of building work, the owner of the land on which the building work was or was to be carried out must notify the Victorian Building Authority and Council of the termination of the building work, as per section 81(2) of the Building Act.

It is usually up to the relevant building surveyor to inform the owner of this process as most owners will be unaware.

Transfer of appointment from one private building surveyor to another

Where a second private building surveyor accepts appointment for completion of the functions of the first private building surveyor (following proper Victorian Building Authority consent to termination), the requirements of Section 80 of the Building Act apply. That is, the second surveyor must notify us of the acceptance of that appointment within seven days.

Lodging Section 30s

As per Section 30 of the Act, the relevant building surveyor is required to submit a copy of the building permit, together with any associated plans and documents, to Council within seven days of issuing the permit.

This can be lodged in paper or electronic form.

Lodging Section 80s

As per Section 80 of the Act, a private building surveyor who has accepted an appointment is required to notify Council in writing within seven days of accepting that appointment. The notification must specify the natural person appointed.

Protection work notice information

As a building surveyor you need to determine if the proposed building work may impact adjoining properties. If work is required to protect those properties, Council can provide contact details of the owners of those properties for the serving of protection work notices.

Use this form to request adjoining owner details.

Application for adjoining owner details(DOCX, 265KB)

Declared roads in Stonnington

Refer to the VicRoads map of declared roads.

Soil types in Stonnington

District overview

Most of Stonnington has a sandy topsoil, underneath which, at depths usually ranging from 600mm to 1.2m, are seams of firm clay having a mottled red and grey colour.

Throughout the district the typical soil classification under Australian Standard 2870.1 (Residential slabs and footings – Construction) is usually Class M (moderately reactive).

We recommend, however, that you obtain reports or other data as applicable.

Stormwater outlets

Underground drains

There are large underground drains following old watercourses in the low-lying areas to the north of the district. Most run under roads, but in some areas they run under private land. Proper building preparation, such as investigation of the land title and, where applicable, a soil report, should identify if these will be an issue.

The main drains are:

  • the Chadstone and Murrumbeena main drains, draining to Gardiners Creek bordering the Malvern East golf course
  • the Prahran main drain, leading to outfalls into the Yarra River near the Chapel Street bridge, and
  • its supplementary outfall line under Como Park, South Yarra.