Information for owner-builders

Certificate of consent

If you wish to be an owner-builder, and the value of the proposed building work is more than $12,000 (including labour costs and materials), you will need to apply for a certificate of consent.

You must provide the certificate of consent to your building surveyor in order to obtain a building permit.

Refer to the Certificate of Consent page on the Victorian Building Authority website for information on how to provide a certificate of consent.

Written contracts

The owner-builder and building practitioner, contractor or tradesperson must enter into a written contract for domestic building work costing more than $5,000.

You should not submit an owner-builder application if you intend to engage one builder to do all the building work, as you will not qualify as an owner-builder in this case. Instead, you will need to enter into a domestic building contract with a registered building practitioner.

The Victorian Building Authority warns against situations where a builder or tradesperson asks you to sign a building permit as an owner-builder, even though they will be doing the work.

Refer to the Victorian Building Authority’s owner-builder page for the latest information on owner-builder requirements.