Report and consent

Report and consent refers to aspects of your building design that do not meet the siting requirements set out under the applicable building regulation(s). In these situations you have the option of applying to Council (the ‘reporting authority’) for report and consent or amending the design to comply with these regulations.

Prior to making an application you may have the option of checking the building proposal against the Guideline developed by the Minister for Planning. If you can demonstrate that your design is within the objectives set out in the applicable Minister’s guideline(s), you can apply to Council (the ‘reporting authority’) for report and consent.

We then either approve or refuse the application. (In some cases the application may need to be reviewed by a different reporting authority, such as a water supply authority.)

Note that the relevant building surveyor cannot issue a building permit unless they are satisfied that any required consent has been obtained.

What is the process?

If your design does not meet the conditions set out in the relevant building regulation, you must:

  • review the applicable minister's guidelines
  • complete the report and consent application form below
  • assemble the required supporting documents specified in the application form
  • submit the application to Council.

If you have any questions about the process, you may want to discuss the matter directly with your building surveyor or architect, or alternatively contact us for more information.

Please be advised if nearby allotments are deemed affected, then Council may invite those adjoining owners to view the plans and make comment. Generally this office allows up to 2 weeks for an adjoining owner to review the plans held with Council.

Christmas 2019 / 2020 Advertising Dates

Please refer to the attached notice for details of dates for advertising of report and consent applications over the 2019/2020 Christmas and New Year holiday period.

Xmas-Advertising-Dates-2019.pdf(PDF, 163KB)

Minister’s Guidelines

There are Minister’s Guidelines that set out the considerations to be applied to the design and siting of single dwellings under the building regulations, where a reporting authority is considering an application for a report and consent for a variation to the standards. Each of the following provisions comprises a statement of objective and matters required to be considered in deciding if the objective is met.

  • Maximum street setback
  • Minimum street setback
  • Building height
  • Site coverage
  • Permeability
  • Car parking
  • Side and rear setbacks
  • Walls on boundaries
  • Daylight to existing habitable room windows
  • Solar access to existing north-facing windows
  • Overshadowing of secluded private open space
  • Overlooking
  • Daylight to new habitable room windows
  • Private open space
  • Front fence height

Neighbours’ input

When considering any application for report and consent, we take into account the impact the proposed siting might have on adjoining properties. We may also contact neighbours for their comments, which may in turn have a bearing on our decision to approve or refuse the siting design.

If we decide to refuse your application, you have the right to appeal the decision to the Building Appeals Board. Note that neighbours don’t have a right of appeal if they don’t agree with the decision.

Applicable regulations

The full Victorian Building Regulations are published online. Click here to view the full list.

Application forms

Report & Consent Application Form (for siting, easements & flooding)(DOC, 891KB)

For all report and consent applications apart from those relating to precautions over street

Adjoining Neighbour's Comments for Report & Consent(DOC, 848KB)


Building Permit and Regulation Fees(PDF, 79KB)

Report and consent for demolition

At Stonnington, Section 29A Requests for Report and Consent for Demolition are dealt with by the Statutory Planning Unit.