| Construction start date
|| 15 January 2018
| Project completion
|| 31 July 2019 (expected) car park
September/October 2019 (expected) urban parkland
|| Kane Constructions
| Hours of work
|| 7am to 8pm | Monday to Friday
8am to 8pm | Saturday
| Contractor contact
|| P: 0478 808 737
| Trader meetings
|| 2pm Monday 22 July 2019
Prahran Town Hall (enter off Greville Street)
Council names urban parkland Prahran Square
At last nights meeting, Council endorsed Prahran Square as the permanent name for the urban parkland and car park.
Read more ...
View the car parking during construction page for information on parking options in and around the site.
Streetscape improvement works
Commencing in mid to late 2018 the street surrounding Cato Square will be subject to improvement works, to complement the project.
When complete, changes to pedestrian and traffic flow will occur on streets adjacent to Cato Square:
- Wattle Street adjacent to the square to be pedestrian only
- Cato Street adjacent to the square to become a shared zone, with pedestrian priority and access for business deliveries
- Chatham Street widened to accommodate on street parking, and remain open to two-way traffic
- Izett Street widened to accommodate entry to underground car park, and remain open to two-way traffic; and
- Wattle Street between Cato and Chapel street converted to one-way traffic, east bound.
These works will require some short term road closures. Kane Constructions will work with traders to minimise impact and maintain access for deliveries.
Construction schedules will be relayed to traders as soon as available.
Small Business Mentoring Services
Council has partnered with Small Business Mentoring Services (SBMS) for the duration of the project.
SBMS are an experienced mentoring service who have worked extensively with small businesses during level crossing removal projects across Melbourne.
Businesses in the precinct have the opportunity to enter into a tailored SBMS mentoring program, and can access three sessions with an experienced SBMS mentor. Mentoring sessions with SBMS are private, held with experienced business people and are designed to help with:
- planning how your business can maximise opportunities pre, during and post construction
- marketing to maintain and grow your customer base during and post construction
- staff issues
- financial concerns and opportunities
- business development and working through periods of potential disruption
- maximising business opportunities post construction.
To book mentoring visit the Small Business Mentoring Service website and use the voucher code STONNCATO3
Pre-construction trader updates
In the lead up to construction updates were distributed to traders and businesses in the Cato Street precinct: