D W Lucas Oval
Dudley Lucas (1905-1990) was born in Malvern and joined the staff at Malvern Council as a junior boy in 1925. He was appointed Town Clerk for the City of Malvern in 1951, a position he held until his retirement in 1973. Lucas was instrumental in the formation of the Malvern Elderly Citizens’ Welfare Committee in 1958 (now MECWA Community Care).
Dunlop Oval was re-named the D. W. Lucas Oval in 1987, in recognition of Lucas’ work in the community. Construction on the Dunlop Pavilion commenced in 1989, and was officially opened by Mayor Cr George Pepperell in July 1990.
The City of Stonnington recently upgraded the pavilion which is home to the East Malvern Football Club, East Malvern Junior Football Club and East Malvern Tooronga Cricket Club.
For more information, contact our Stonnington History Centre.
Location and Transport
Located on Dunlop Street just off the Monash Freeway, D W Lucas Oval is conveniently located opposite Darling Station, and just 400m from the 612 bus on Albion Road.