Just metres from Prahran Market and the bustling Chapel Street precinct, Grattan Gardens is a great place to take a break from the bustle, have some lunch, and enjoy a little bit of nature.
Prahran Council purchased land in Greville Street in 1864 to establish the Prahran Market. When this moved to its current position in Commercial Road in 1881, Council turned the space into Prahran Gardens (now known as Grattan Gardens), which was opened by Lady Loch, wife of Victorian Governor Sir Henry Loch, in August 1885. The bandstand dates from approximately this time.
In the years leading up to the First World War, many decorative improvements were made. John Maclellan, of the Big Store emporium in Chapel Street, paid for the ornamental iron gates at the Izett Street entrance, along with a fountain in memory of his mother.
After the war, a German gun presented to Council was mounted opposite the ornamental gates. The bowling green pavilion was redesigned and extended, and committee rooms, entertainment room and wide verandas added. The Gardens became famous for their dahlia display, and the shade from the plane trees was popular on sunny days.
Following Council’s policy to grant citizens the full use of parks and gardens around 1950, the gate remained open at night. In 1951 Council converted land along Grattan Street, formerly belonging to Prahran Bowling Club, into a children’s playground.
For more information, contact our Stonnington History Centre
Location and Transport
Located between Grattan Street and Izett Street in Prahran, the Gardens are an easy strolling distance from both the No. 72 Tram along Commercial Road, and Prahran Train Station on the Sandringham line.