The beautiful Malvern Public Gardens are located on the corner of High Street and Park Street in Malvern. Visit the gardens for a family picnic, take in a show, play some cricket, or read a book.
Thirteen acres of land was set aside for a water reserve in 1866. The natural spring had been used by the Wurundjeri people, before supplying the developing suburb with water. When the State Government announced its intention to auction the reserve in 1885, a protest resulted in the land being secured for public use.
Malvern Council approached gardener Thomas Pockett to convert the reserve into a municipal garden in 1888, which he did over the next 20 years. English Oaks and other trees were planted, along with a number of flowerbeds, and curved walking paths laid. Malvern Gardens was opened by former Premier, the Hon. Duncan Gillies, on 12 December 1890. Mayor Cr Alex McKinley used a gold key set with a heart-shaped opal to open the ornate wooden gates, which had been locked with a colonial gold chain.
Malvern Gardens is recognised on the Victorian Heritage Register. It was the setting for Malvern’s proclamation as a City in 1911, and remains a popular park.