Union Street Gardens
The Union Street Gardens sits on land previously used by Thomas and Anna Kempton as a dairy farm and orchard from 1859. Malvern Council acquired the land in stages, with the first parcel used as a Council depot for a time.
Following a petition by ratepayers, Council acquired adjacent land in 1908 to create a public reserve. It also acquired and demolished four houses to consolidate the children’s playground, which was opened by Mayor Cr Matthews in February 1925, along with the first tennis courts. Further tennis courts and a pavilion were added the following year.
The Malvern Tennis Centre has recently been upgraded with new courts and lighting, and re-opened in March 2019.
For more information, contact our Stonnington History Centre.
Location and Transport
Located on the corner of Union Street and Orchard Street, Armadale, the Union Street Gardens and Tennis Centre are 500m from Armadale Station, and 550m from the No. 16 tram along Glenferrie Road.