Press Release | 8 January 2018
The City of Stonnington’s latest Sustainability Snapshot is now available and shows how Council and the local community are helping to create a cleaner, safer and better environment.
City of Stonnington Mayor Cr Steve Stefanopoulos said the 2016 – 17 snapshot captures Council’s key achievements and initiatives as it works towards delivering the Sustainable Environment Strategy 2013 – 17.
“Protecting the environment requires us all to work together and we’re focused on what we can influence locally to contribute to a healthier and more sustainable City,” he said.
“There are many opportunities to positively influence environmental outcomes both within Council and throughout our community so it’s important we take the lead and help ensure Stonnington is the best place it can be for future generations to enjoy.
“The annual Sustainability Snapshot documents our progress, highlights our key achievements and sets our sustainability goals for the following year.”
Some of the highlights are:
- won the 2017 LGPro Award for Excellence in the Sustainability Initiative Category (in partnership with the cities of Banyule, Moreland, Port Phillip, Whitehorse and Yarra)
- reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 22 per cent below 2005 levels
- expanded Council’s solar program to include a 45.8kW solar system on Malvern Town Hall
- introduced an all-electric vehicle to Council’s fleet
- supported the installation of 27kW of solar on Stonnington homes through our Making Solar Simple program
- diverted 80 tonnes of electronic waste from landfill for recycling
- 333 new subscribers to Council’s kerbside garden waste service
- Council adopted the Urban Forest Strategy, which supports the development of a healthy, resilient and diverse urban forest
- completed stages four and five of the Yarra River Biodiversity Project
- delivered 80 Green Schools program sessions to 35 schools and early learning centres.
Download the Sustainability Snapshot 2016-2017(PDF, 3MB).