Press Release | 18 March 2019
Featuring exceptional performances, the Stonnington Jazz Festival program is sure to excite. Running from 9 to 19 May, this festival is set to challenge what you know about Australian jazz.
“Our Artist Director Chelsea Wilson has curated an incomparable line-up for this year’s festival. The 2019 festival has something for everyone from the committed jazz fan, the casual music lover and those looking for a great night out” said City of Stonnington Mayor Cr Steve Stefanopoulos.
Opening the festival is War Cry a celebration of vocal power and passion. Uniting the extraordinary voices of Michelle Nicolle, Odette Mercy and Fem Belling, this concert will explore the political, socially aware and thought-provoking spirit of jazz. A specially curated band led by bassist Claire Cross will support each vocalist with hard hitting grooves and harmonies as they perform their selections.
This year the Chapel Off Chapel Concert Series has the following phenomenal performances:
- Barney McAll - ARIA, Bell and Music Victoria Award winning jazz pianist
- Lance Ferguson’s Menagerie - ARIA nominated funk guitarist of ‘The Bamboos’ with his 11 piece spiritual jazz outfit
- Australian Art Orchestra - leading contemporary ensemble that blends art, popular and classical music
A highlight of the Chapel Off Chapel Concert Series will be Queens of The Jazz Age that brings together jazz, big band, and cabaret artists for a truly unique event. Hosted by stage royalty Rhonda Burchmore, the show features artists including Dolly Diamond, Stella Angelico, Cougar Morrison and Jack Earle (with his big band) to bring the days of Hollywood glamour to Stonnington.
Enjoy the authentic jazz club experience with the Jazz in The Loft Sessions. These sessions will provide cozy spaces, late nights and all the right grooves from the following jazz artists (or bands):
- Sam Anning Sextet - award winning bassist presents compositions from his award winning album.
- Flora Carbo Trio - emerging saxophone star
- Origami - led by Adam Simmons this experimental jazz project knows no boundaries
- Koi Kingdom - rising saxophone star Cheryl Dupinostukul with bands, and
- Kathleen Halloran Trio - emerging guitar star making her Stonnington debut with special guests
Be a part of the action and start your journey with the Get Involved program, including workshops, children’s activities and the ever popular Jazz Jam which will have you singing and dancing right through winter.
Bringing together great minds, The Jazz Industry Summit, will include workshops, keynotes speakers, round table discussions and mentoring sessions. Perfect to extend, develop or kick start your career.
Closing the festival is a celebration of traditional jazz with Cold Nights, Hot Jazz featuring Sugarfoot Ramblers, Monique Dimattina and other special guests.
Interviews: Please contact email@example.com for comment and to organise interviews.
Pre-recorded interviews are welcome.
Ticket information: All tickets on sale Friday 8 March from www.stonningtonjazz.com.au
For more information, please visit stonningtonjazz.com.au