In Victoria, legislation requires that all dogs and cats more than three months of age must be microchipped and registered with their local Council.
Registering your pet online for the first time
Apply online to register your pet for the first time.
If you have more than two dogs or two cats, a permit is required. For further information, please visit Pet Ownership Restrictions.
Up to 12-month free registration for adopted pets
The first year of registration is free for cats and dogs adopted from a not-for-profit animal welfare organisation. Proof of purchase will be required. You will still need to apply online, however the payment section will not be applicable.
If you’re unable to apply online you can return a printed form(PDF, 121KB) in person at one of our service centres, to pay via cash, cheque or card.
|Standard fee (pensioner concession)
|Full fee (pensioner concession)
Standard fees apply when proof of the following is provided:
- desexed (cat desexing is compulsory in Stonnington. Exemptions will only be made for cats for registered breeding purposes or due to veterinary advice)
- dogs trained by an approved obedience trainer
- more than 10 years of age
- part of a Domestic Animal Business or applicable organisation.
Otherwise, full fees apply.
Renewing your pet registration
Renew your pet registration online using the Animal Number on your renewal notice. Alternatively you can visit one of our service centres to pay via cash, cheque or card.
Registration renewal payments must be made by 10 April each year. Failure to pay the registration renewal fee on time may result in a substantial fine.
Updating your details
Please make sure your details are up-to-date with Council:
- if you have moved house to another location in the City of Stonnington
- if you have moved out of the municipality
- if your pet is deceased or no longer owned by you, you can obtain a refund or part there off by returning a completed refund form(PDF, 28KB). Pro rata on a weekly basis after 10 October.
You can notify us of any changes by contacting us on 8290 1333 or at email@example.com.
Registration fee refund
To apply for a refund please complete the refund form(PDF, 28KB).
You can also read more information(PDF, 352KB) about the benefits of registering your pet and how your registration fees are used.