How your rates are calculated

City of Stonnington rates are calculated by multiplying a property's Capital Improved Value (CIV) by a rate in the dollar amount set by Council.

What is the Capital Improved Value

The CIV of a property is the value of the land plus any improvements on the land.  It is the amount a property would likely realise if offered for sale.

Council valuers conduct property revaluations each year, most recently in January 2019.  These valuations determine the CIV used to calculate your general rate.

What is the rate in the dollar

The rate in the dollar is an amount set by Council to fund works and services contained in the annual financial budget.  The 2019-20 rate in the dollar is 0.000999.

Calculating your rates

Your general rate is calculated by multiplying your property CIV with the rate in the dollar.

For example: $800,000 (Capital Improved Value) × 0.000999 (rate in the dollar) = $ 799.20 (general rates)

Waste Charge

An annual waste charge, determined by the size and configuration of your bin system, is added to your general rate.

The 2019-20 minimum waste charge is $259.40. The minimum garden waste charge is $96.00.

A waste charge applies to all properties except vacant land.

Fire Services Property Levy

From July 2013 the State Government’s Fire Services Property Levy has been shown on Council rate notices.

Council collects the levy on behalf of the State Government to contribute to the cost of operating the Metropolitan Fire Brigade. This replaces the levy previously funded through insurance premiums.

Funds collected are not retained by Council and are directed to the State Government.

For more information visit the the Fire Services Property Levy website.

What to do if you do not agree with your property valuation

If you do not agree with your property valuation you can lodge an objection to Council.  The object must be lodged within two months of the date of the rates notice.

If you are not satisfied with Council's determination of your objection, or if you have not been contacted by Council within four months of lodging your objection, you may apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal to review the decision or, in special cases, appeal to the Supreme Court.

If an amendment is made to the valuation any changes will be reflected in a reissued notice.

Note: Even if you lodge an objection you must pay the issued rates by the due date, otherwise interest may be charged.  If your objection is successful and results in a reduction in your rates, any over-payment will be refunded.

More information

More information about Council rates and charges view the Your Rates Explained(PDF, 616KB) brochure.