You can help our local plants and animals by creating a wildlife haven on your balcony or in your backyard. By providing birds and animals with food, nesting, shelter and water, they’ll be drawn to your garden and add a whole range of benefits to both your garden and the wider community.
Build a bird-friendly backyard
Keen to have more feathered friends in your garden?
The key ingredient for providing an appealing habitat for native birds is to:
- create a multi-layered habitat of ground covers and small and medium shrubs
- plant their favourite foods, including nectar from native flowers and native grass seeds
- install a bird-bath or pond, and
- create dense habitat using prickly shrubs such as Acacia paradoxa
Read more tips on how to create bird-friendly gardens.
Support nature in the city
You can help our plants and animals by:
- planting indigenous plants (local to Melbourne)
- ensuring pet food is not left outside for foxes or Indian Myna birds
- installing a nesting box for a feathery friend
- keeping cats inside and only let dogs off leads in specified areas
- removing weeds
- use natural alternatives to synthetic chemicals in your garden, like worm casting's or compost.
Meet some of our local birds:
Listen out for our frogs:
If you find any injured native wildlife please contact Wildlife Victoria on toll free 1300 094 535 or visit www.wildlifevictoria.org.au/