Towards zero carbon 2030: our Climate Emergency Action Plan
Published on 21 September 2021
We're proud to announce the City of Stonnington’s first Climate Emergency Action Plan.
As part of our long-term commitment to sustainability, in February 2020 Council declared a climate emergency, committing to accelerate action on climate change.
At Council’s meeting on 20 September we adopted our plan to take Stonnington towards a zero-carbon, climate-ready future.
Our goal is to reduce emissions to zero by 2030 and ensure our city thrives in a changing climate, improving our environment, economy and the health and wellbeing of our community.
City of Stonnington Cr Kate Hely is proud of the plan:
“This plan delivers on the expectations of our community to be a Council that works to both prevent and adapt to a changing climate.
“It embeds climate action into every part of our work and is also about us working in partnership with our community and other levels of government.
“These changes are necessary and practical for Stonnington to adapt to our changing climate, and to join other leaders and ensuring we’re doing what we can to reduce future warming.
“We know when delivered effectively many of these changes will also save rather than cost us money in the short and long term.
“This plan the right thing to do for our community and our future and I’m proud to be part of the Council that has endorsed it”.
The plan identifies three priority actions and a number of deliverable to help achieve this:
- Priority one: Zero carbon Stonnington
- Priority two: Thriving in a changing climate
- Priority three: Working together for change
Identified actions include:
- Transition Council facilities from gas to renewable energy
- Expand food waste recycling
- Develop a cycle-smart city
- Facilitate a local circular economy
- Support Stonnington households and businesses to reduce energy use and transition to renewable energy
- Increase canopy cover and grow the urban forest
- Ensure water sensitive urban design
- Support local food production
- Advance partnerships, alliances and collaborations to progress Council’s climate emergency response
Read the plan here. Also available is our Sustainability Snapshot 2020-21 which highlights the great work already being delivered across Stonnington.
Learn more about our Sustainability Commitment.
For media enquiries, email email@example.com