Vehicle crossings

Vehicle crossings and footpath replacement

Under the City of Stonnington General Local Law 2018, you need a permit to:

  • reinstate
  • repair
  • remove
  • install

a new vehicle crossing or footpath.

For arterial roads, consent is required from VicRoads. A planning permit issued by Council’s Planning Unit is required to address the suitability of the proposal.

Vehicle crossing permit

How do I apply for a vehicle crossing permit?

Step 2.Or apply in writing

You’ll need to provide:

  • A completed application form(DOCX, 418KB) .
  • A fully scaled, detailed site plan indicating the size and site of the crossover. The plan should also include physical constraints such as pits, poles, drainage points, street trees and any existing or redundant vehicle crossovers to the subject site.

Applications take a minimum of eight weeks to assess, provided no further information or changes are required. Please submit your application well in advance, as there are often longer assessment periods required.

A Council Officer will make site inspections prior to pouring and for a final inspection. Works must not commence without a permit being issued.

You might find it helpful to read Council’s vehicle crossing policy(PDF, 484KB) before applying. 

Temporary vehicle crossing permit

Applying for a temporary vehicle crossing permit

A permit is required under the City of Stonnington General Local Law 2018 to place a temporary vehicle crossing.

We require an insurance certificate of currency, covering the applicant for a minimum of $20m for Public Liability.

Step 2.Or submit your application with our temporary vehicle crossing application form

Download, complete and submit the temporary vehicle crossing application form(DOCX, 136KB)


Vehicle crossing permit fees

  • Permanent: $359.30
  • Temporary (3 months): $142.20
  • Fast track fee (subject to approval/eligibility): $300