Disabled parking permits
Disabled Persons Parking Permits (Accessible parking) are issued free of charge to residents who live within Stonnington and have a significant physical or intellectual impairment.
There are two types of permit for people with disability:
- Category 1 (or blue) permits allow a vehicle to be parked in designated bays for persons with disability and allow twice the specified time in a time limited area.
- Category 2 (or green) permits do not allow the vehicle to be parked in designated bays for persons with a disability. These permits do allow vehicles to be parked in a time limited area for twice the length of time specified.
Apply for a permit here
- The applicant and a doctor must complete the application for these permits.
- Full permit conditions are provided at the time of issue and renewal of all permits. Permit holders (or their legal guardian) are responsible for making sure they are familiar and comply with these conditions.
- Please note, a lack of understanding of permit conditions is not considered grounds for an infringement to be waived.
When is the permit valid?
A Disabled Persons Parking Permit is valid when:
- the person to whom the permit was issued is the driver, or
- the driver is not the person to whom the permit was issued, but is parked for the convenience of the person to whom the permit was issued, who needs to enter or exit the vehicle.
Permits must be displayed at all times and all details must be clearly visible to a person standing outside the vehicle.
How long are permits valid for?
Generally, permits are valid for one year and temporary permits are valid for six months (depending on the disability).
You will need to lodge a new application after a temporary permit has expired.
How do permits work in pay or ticketed parking areas?
When parking in a pay or ticketed parking area, the permit holder must purchase and display a ticket, however they may park for double the time stated on the ticket (e.g. if you purchase a one hour parking ticket, you may park for two hours).