Resident parking permits


If you live in the City of Stonnington, you may be eligible for on-street resident parking permits for cars and motorcycles. You can use these permits yourself or for visitors to your home. 


Not every Stonnington resident can have a permit for on-street parking.

Before you apply, you should check your eligibility with our Customer Service team on 8290 1333.

As a guide, you are likely to be eligible if your home is:

  • located in the City of Stonnington
  • your primary place of residence
  • built before 19 March 2007.

If your home was built or developed after 19 March 2007 and multiple new residences were added to the property, you may not be eligible. This is to encourage more on-site parking in new developments. We recommend checking your eligibility with our team before applying.  

If you're not sure if you're eligible for a resident parking permit, please call 8290 1333 or visit one of our Customer Service centres

Apply for or renew a permit

Before applying for or renewing a resident parking permit please read the permit conditions.

Apply for a permit

Renew a permit

Frequently asked questions

How many permits can I have and how much do they cost?

The amount of permits you can have depends on your property – please call 8290 1333 to check how many you are eligible for. 

The first two resident parking permits are free. This can include either two Vehicle Specific permits, or one Vehicle Specific and one Variable. You cannot have only two Variable permits. 

There is a cost for any permits past the first two (outlined below), which will be the same whether it is a Vehicle Specific or a Variable permit.  

  • Third permit: $102 
  • Fourth permit: $114 
  • Fifth permit: $152

What is the difference between a Vehicle Specific and Variable parking permit?

There are two types of resident parking permits available in Stonnington: a Vehicle Specific permit and a Variable permit. 

Vehicle Specific permit 

A Vehicle Specific permit is linked to the registration of a specific vehicle, with the registration number displayed on the permit itself. When applying for a Vehicle Specific permit, you must provide proof that you own the vehicle, or are the main driver.  

Variable permit 

A Variable permit does not contain any specific vehicle details. It can be used on a car or motorcycle that is parked near the property it’s issued to, in order to access that property. It cannot be used on commercial vehicles or for tradespeople.

For more information, call 8290 1333 or visit one of our Customer Service centres

Can I get two Variable permits without a Vehicle Specific permit?

No. For the first two free permits, you can either have:

  • 2x Vehicle Specific permits or
  • 1x Vehicle Specific permit and 1x Variable permit

Where are parking permits valid?

It’s important you only use your resident parking permit as outlined in the terms and conditions. 

Read full terms and conditions here

It is your responsibility to understand and follow the full terms and conditions. 

When using your permit, make sure that:

  • the vehicle is parked within the permit boundary area, as close to your property as possible
  • people using the vehicle are living at or visiting the residence the permit is issued to
  • the permit is clearly displayed, either as a sticker on the bottom left of the windscreen for Vehicle Specific permits, or hanging on the rearview mirror for Variable permits.  

You cannot use resident parking permits for: 

  •  any business or commercial use
  • parking close to shops, public transport or any other residence, even if it’s within your permit boundary area
  • parking around commercial buildings and shops
  • commercial vehicles made to carry loads over 1,200kg
  • unregistered vehicles
  • prime movers, trailers, boats or caravans
  • certain streets and areas, including:
    • primary or main roads (unless otherwise signed)
    • off-street car parks
    • ticketed parking areas
    • parking zones of 30 minutes or less
    • Clearways, No Stopping, Loading Zones, Truck Zones and where parking is signed as prohibited. 

What happens if I buy a new car, or my registration number changes?

If the registration for the car on your Vehicle Specific permit changes, you’ll need to let us know.  

You’ll also need to provide a supporting document that links the new vehicle registration to your name. It’s important that both your name and the registration number is visible on the documentation. 

 If the vehicle is registered in your name, please provide one of the following:

  • VicRoads or other state/territory road authority registration certificate OR
  • signed vehicle transfer document OR
  • contract of sale document OR
  • current insurance document.

If you are the primary driver, but the vehicle is not registered in your name, please provide:

  •  Current insurance document that lists your name as a driver 

If the vehicle is registered in a company name, please provide:

  • one of the above documents AND
  • a signed letter from the company on an official letterhead. The letter must state that you are the primary driver of the vehicle and that it is garaged at the address on your permit. 

Please send a copy of this document to or in person at one of our Customer Service centres. We will then issue you a new permit to attach to your vehicle.

What happens if my permit is lost or damaged?

If you permit is damaged, faded or hard to read in any way, it could be invalid and must be replaced. Please return the old permit to us and we will issue you a new one. You can do this in person at a Customer Service centre, or via mail to PO Box 58, Malvern VIC 3144.

What you need to do if you lose a permit depends on whether it was a Vehicle Specific or Variable permit. 

If you lose your Vehicle Specific permit, simply let us know by calling 8290 1333 or by email. We will then cancel it and issue you a new one via mail. 

To replace a Variable permit, the permit holder will need to fill out a statutory declaration claiming it is lost, to help prevent permit misuse. You can find a statutory declaration template here.  

Email or mail this form to us, pay the lost Variable permit fee ($102 but applied pro rata) and we will issue you with a new Variable permit via mail.