Library and Information Week
Library and Information Week, is held during the last week of May each year. This year Library and Information Week takes place from 20–26 May 2019. We are excited to announce that the theme for Library and Information Week 2019 is Truth, Integrity, Knowledge (TIK).
In addition to our regular programming, our libraries will also host the following special events for the week:
Monday 20 May, 4 - 5pm - Launch of interactive STEAM kits at Malvern Library during the regular weekly Lego Builders program
Wednesday 22 May, 11 - 11.45am - National Simultaneous Storytime at Toorak/South Yarra Library
Wednesday 22 May, 6.30 - 8pm - Open book: Techno Shuffle: rave culture and the Melbourne underground at Prahran Library
Friday 24 May, 7 - 8pm - Live Notes: Concert no. 2 at Toorak/South Yarra Library
Library and Information Week provides the community with the opportunity to:
- Find out about the wide range of services that libraries offer.
- Recognise the vital role which libraries and information services play for research and education.
- Recognise the contribution of specialist libraries for the work outcomes in corporations, government departments, hospitals and other institutions.
- Debate our information future and the government's approach to it.
- Emphasise the significance of libraries in the maintenance of our history and culture at community and national levels.
- Recognise the importance of library and information services as providers of services for people who may otherwise be disadvantaged by their lack of access to information and services.
- Consider the role which libraries play in our local community, work, and personal life.