Watch Around Water
Safety is our highest priority. We want all visitors to enjoy our pools and aquatic facilities in a safe and stress-free environment.
That's why we have introduced the Watch Around Water policy.
Watch Around Water supports parents and guardians to keep children safe in and around water.
The policy was developed by Aquatics and Recreation Victoria, Lifesaving Victoria and the Play it Safe by the Water campaign.
It ensures all children are supervised when visiting public swimming pools.
Watch Around Water policy
When visiting our pools with children, you must follow these guidelines.
Under 5 years
Always keep them within arm's reach.
- Children must be accompanied in the centre and supervised in the pool within arm's reach.
- Maximum of two children per parent/guardian.
- Children must wear the provided yellow wristband to help staff identify their age while swimming.
Under 10 years
Always keep them in sight.
- Children must be accompanied in the centre and supervised by maintaining visual contact with the child at all times.
- Maximum of four children per parent/guardian.
- Children must wear the provided red wristband to help staff identify their age while swimming.
10 years and older
Know their swimming ability.
- Parents/guardians must use their knowledge of the child's swimming ability to determine what level of accompaniment is required.
Parents and guardians
Be aware of distractions; be prepared.
- Parents/guardians are responsible adults aged 16 and over.
- A parent/guardian can supervise a total of four children under 10 years old and no more than two children under five years.
- When supervising children under 5, parents/guardians must enter the water with their child and be ready to provide immediate help at all times.
- When supervising children under 10, parents/guardians must be ready to provide immediate help to their child at all times.
Supervision during Learn to Swim lessons
Parents/guardians must ensure that children under 10 years old are adequately supervised during swimming lessons by:
- Follow the age group supervision guidelines above before and after lessons.
- Walk your child to their lesson and ensure the swimming instructor is aware of their presence before leaving.
- Stay in the centre and stay contactable at all times, which includes not swimming yourself.
- Collect your child at the end of the lesson or stay visible so your child can walk directly to you.
- Children under five years old must not leave the swimming instructors' care until you arrive. Please arrive on time.
Parents supervise, lifeguards save lives.
Our lifeguards are on duty to save lives in an emergency.
But parents play a critical role in supervising children at public swimming pools.
Watch Around Water ensures parents and lifeguards work together to keep children safe.