1000 Books Before School
1000 Books Before School is a fun literacy program for babies and young children!
Sharing stories with babies and young children helps develop literacy skills that will prepare them for reading at school.
How 1000 Books Before School works
- Visit any Stonnington Library to receive your first Reading Record to get you started or download and print your own 1000 Books Before School Reading Record. (PDF,12MB)
- Mark, colour or place a sticker on your Reading Record each time you read together with your child.
- Each time you reach a milestone in your Reading Record, bring it in to your local library for a special reward. Milestones are set at 100, 250, 500, 750 and 1000 books.
- Every book that your child completes, or actively listens to, counts – this includes stories read at Storytime sessions, daycare, playgroup, kindergarten, as well as the same book over and over again. You can read books from anywhere – not just library books.
- The program finishes once your child reaches 1000 books, or starts school. Congratulations!