Joining the library is easy and as a member, you can access services and collections from all our four libraries, History Centre and Home Library Service.
Our libraries offer spaces to read, learn, connect, create and relax in.
Join at any of the four libraries or online. To join, you’ll need proof of your name and current Victorian address. There is no minimum joining age but if you’re under 18 you’ll need a parent or guardian’s signature. If joining online, we will post your membership card and it may take up to 7 working days to arrive.
Get our latest news and updates by visiting our Latest News, subscribing to our newsletter or following us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Borrow, Renew, Reserve and Return
All items can be borrowed free of charge. Search our catalogue to discover our extensive collections.
You may borrow up to 50 items for a period of 3 weeks. Items in high demand have 2 week loans. All items may be renewed twice if they haven’t been reserved by others; this may be done online, in person or by phone.
Provide us with your email address to receive email reminders before your items are due.
Items can be renewed online if they are less than 7 days overdue. To renew items that are more than 7 days overdue, please telephone or visit a library.
You may reserve up to 30 items on your card at any one time and will be notified when they become available.
Our return chutes are open at all hours across our libraries. As our libraries begin returning to normal operations, we will re-introduce standard loan durations. This means any long-term loans need to be returned so they can be made available for others to borrow.
Fees and Charges
Fees and Charges
Effective 1 July 2022
Lost / Damaged / Replacement charges
- Books: Cost of item + $12.90 processing fee
- Audiovisual items: Cost of item + $12.90 processing fee
- Magazine: Cost of item + $3.70 processing fee
- Replacement Single Item - Audio Book CD: $18.70 per CD.
- A/V items requiring repackaging: $9.60 per item
- Item barcode: $4.20
- Membership card: $4.20
- CD Case: $4.20
- Book strap: $4.20
- USB Drive: $8.00
- Headphones: $3.00
- Charges do not apply for reservations.
No more overdue charges
We no longer charge for overdue items at our libraries, but if you lose an item or it is more than 60 days overdue, replacement charges will apply.
Home Library Service
Stonnington Libraries provides free deliveries of library materials to members of our community who are physically unable to visit our libraries.
We are able to provide a personalised home delivery service once every three weeks.
Our expert staff will consult with you about your choice of materials, to suit your individual reading, listening and viewing interests.
Phone: 8290 8011
Who can use our service?
- Residents of the City of Stonnington who are unable to visit our libraries due to age, frailty or disability;
- Residents of the City of Stonnington who are temporarily unable to visit our libraries due to illness or injury;
- Residents of aged care facilities or assisted living accommodation;
- Carers may also be eligible.
You may borrow items for a period of 3 weeks. All items may be renewed twice if they haven’t been reserved by others; this may be done online or by phoning the Home Library Service.
Items may also be reserved. For more information about accessing our collections, please speak to our staff.
Materials will be delivered to your home every 3 weeks. Any items for return will also be collected at this time.
Our extensive collections include:
- Fiction and non-fiction books in large print and regular print format
- Audio books, CDs and DVDs
- Books, CDs and DVDs in other languages, including Chinese, French, Greek, and Russian
- Downloadable audio books and music.
Become a volunteer
Become a Home Library Service volunteer and make an important contribution to our community.
We require volunteers to deliver library materials to aged care facilities located in the City of Stonnington.
Volunteers will receive training and ongoing support. Volunteers must hold a current driver licence and undergo a police check.
If you would like to become a volunteer, please contact the Home Library Service.