Freegal instructions and help
- You have five downloads per week
- One music video uses two of your weekly download allocations
- Stream for a maximum of five hours per day *currently you can stream unlimited hours per day until 31 March 2021
- The downloads are all in the MP3 format with no DRM, and videos are in the MP4 format with no DRM
Visit the Freegal Music Help Page for FAQs
Download to computer
- Click on Freegal link via Stonnington website.
- Click on Login on top right corner.
- Enter your full library card number and pin and click Login.
- Note: first time users will have to accept terms and conditions.
- Add email if you would like to receive twice-weekly email reminders of your available downloads or click Cancel.
- Browse selection and click on Stream Now box in middle of track image to preview or start streaming song
- Click on Download icon to download to your computer. Note: once you agree to download you have used one of your downloads, and you cannot cancel.
- On the Download pop up click on dropdown menu next to Save and Save As to Desktop.
- When download has completed, click on Open, should play automatically.
- At this point the file can be transferred to iTunes or other media manager by Import or Click and Drag function.
Use Freegal on your mobile device
- Download the Freegal app via iTunes or Google Play.
- Open Freegal app and in first search bar (Enter zip code, city, or country...) type 'Australia' and touch GO.
- Scroll down and locate Stonnington Library and Information Service.
- Enter your full Library card number and pin and touch Go.
- Agree to terms & conditions if required.
- Browse and download by touching black & white down arrow.
Transfer downloads from iOS device into your computer
- Attach your device to computer.
- Open up iTunes and you will see an area titled 'Devices' on the left.
- Click on the device you wish to transfer music from. At the top of the screen will be options including ‘Summary, info, apps, music, movies, etc.’ Select ‘Apps’. Scroll down and select the Freegal app.
- View the file that contains the music downloaded from the app.
- Take that file and simply drag it to your desktop background. This will save the music to your desktop.
- Now that the music is on your computer, you can move this music into your iTunes by dragging and dropping individual songs into iTunes.
How to stream
On personal computer:
- Click on Freegal link via the Stonnington website
- Click on Login on top right corner
- Enter your full library card number and pin and click Login
- First time users will see a pop-up screen that will take you through the basics of streaming
- Counters in the top right and will keep you informed of your usage
- Click on selected song's cover
- Click on blue arrow to stream song
- To stream album, select album and click on its cover. Click on blue arrow of first song and the whole album will stream.
On mobile device:
- If My Streaming Playlists option is not visible under Playlist tab you will need to update app
- Touch on song title you want to stream
- Touch on blue arrow to stream song
- Touch on blue Stream Album button to stream whole album.
Troubleshooting and FAQs:
- Where did my Download go on my computer?
Check the Downloads folder in your Operating System. It is recommended to Save File to Desktop when downloading for easy recovery
- Why are there limits on the amount of downloads I can make? What does “limit exceeded” mean?
The limit is set so that a maximum number of patrons may have equal access to the songs in the Freegal Music Service. The “limit exceeded” appears when you have used all of their downloads for the week.
- I downloaded a video and it took 2 of my downloads when I downloaded only 1 video?
That is the expected functionality. Videos are premium content and cost the end user 2 of his or her weekly downloads.
- Why does the counter say I've downloaded 5 songs when I'm sure I haven't?
You may have started a download then changed your mind and cancelled it. Once you click the "download now" button, it can't be reversed. It will count towards your download limit even if you cancel or choose "play" instead of "download." To avoid this, please use the song clips to ensure you are downloading a song you want in your music library.
- Can I download an item more than once?
In the Freegal Music navigation bar, you will see "Recent Downloads." You can re-download a song up to two more times within 2 weeks from the original download for reinstall purposes, in case your connection timed out. This re-download will not count against your download totals.
- What is the difference between streaming and downloading?
Downloading is capturing and keeping the file on a permanent basis. Streaming is accessing the file on a temporary basis, while connected to the internet.