Respect is… creating a future where we are all safe and equal
Each year, Stonnington proudly supports the 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence - a global campaign dedicated to raising awareness about the impact of violence, particularly on women.
The campaign starts on 25 November, the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, and runs until 10 December, Human Rights Day.
The Respect Women: ‘Call It Out’ (Respect Is) initiative coincides with the 16 Days of Activism, encouraging Victorians to call out sexism, sexual harassment and disrespect towards women, when safe to do so.
Listen to voices from our community, exploring the meaning of respect:
Want to get involved?
Show your support. Join us for 16 Days of Activism and help generate conversations about gender equality and respect.
- Pop the 25 November to 10 December in your calendar to mark the 16 Days of Activism campaign and plan how you and your community club, group or organisation can participate.
- Visit Safe and Equal for ideas, a copy of the campaign toolkit and other support resources.
- Subscribe to the 16 Days of Activism Safe and Equal Supporter Bulletin for updates, or join a Safe and Equal workshop to learn more, ask questions and meet other campaigners.
- Visit the Respect Victoria website.
- Add your event to Stonnington’s Upcoming Events Calendar or find out about Gender issues and the impact on health in Stonnington.
How to ‘Call it out’
‘Call it out’ is a broad term for responding in some way to behaviours that may be deemed sexist, disrespectful, abusive or constitute sexual harassment.
Learn more about what to do when you see disrespect towards women:
Fast facts and other resources
View Safe and Equal’s Fast Facts Infographic for key data on family violence, gender-based violence and gender equality.
Read Stonnington’s fact sheet on Gender issues and the impact on health(PDF, 247KB).
Hot topics for 16 Days
Challenge yourself to learn something new every day about gender equality and creating a respectful, safe and more equal society.
Raising boys to be healthy men
Gender equality benefits everyone
Call it out
No excuse for abuse
Responding to disclosures