Concessions on rates and charges

Concessions on rates and charges 

If you have a certain kind of concession card, you can make a claim for reduced Council rates.

The State Government Municipal Concession

The State Government Municipal Concession applies to eligible cardholders (see below); they can claim a concession on the property which is their principal place of residence.

The concession is 50 per cent of the rates payable up to a maximum of $241.00 for the 2020/2021 financial year.

Which concession cards are eligible to receive a concession on my rates?

  • Pensioner Concession Card - issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans' Affairs

  • Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card - War Widow

  • Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card - Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)

You can check if you have an eligible concession card by visiting the Department of Health and Human Services website.

I’m a Veterans’ Affairs POW or EDA pension holder - can I claim?

Yes you can. 

The Victorian Government has announced that the pension rebate on council rates extends to Veterans’ Affairs POW and EDA pension card holders. 

To claim for rebates on council rates for these specific types of Department of Veterans’ Affairs pension cards, apply directly to the Department of Human Services Concessions Unit. Details are shown on the EDA and POW application form(PDF, 734KB)

Fire Services Property Levy concession

In addition to the State Government Municipal Concession, there is a $50.00 concession that will apply to the Fire Services Property Levy. 

This concession is administered in the same way as the rates concession. You don’t need to apply for it if you already receive a pension rebate on your rates.

Applying for concessions

To apply, complete the Municipal Rates Concession application form(PDF, 118KB) and take it in person or by post to a Stonnington Customer Service Centre, or email it to

Please submit the form with a copy of your eligible card.

How will I know if the concession has been deducted?

Your concession will be deducted from your rates and charges and we’ll show this on your yearly rates notice. 

This notice of deduction will only change if your entitlement to receive concessions changes.