Council Plan and Community Vision
Stonnington Community Vision 2040
In September 2020, the City of Stonnington embarked on an extensive community engagement program called Shaping Stonnington to develop our first Community Vision and inform our new four-year Council Plan.
Through a range of engagement activities we asked the community to join the conversation and share their thoughts and aspirations for the future of Stonnington by reflecting on:
Imagine Stonnington in 2040. Consider what may have changed that makes you feel proud, inspired and connected to your community.
Feedback from these conversations framed the task for our Shaping Stonnington People’s Panel, a group of 32 community members representing our diverse community. The Panel came together over three days in early 2021 to discuss and consider the challenges and opportunities for our city.
This resulted in the collaborative drafting of the Stonnington Community Vision 2040(PDF, 6MB) which reflects the breadth of aspirations and priorities of our diverse community to set the vision of:
Welcome to Stonnington 2040
Our community is a safe, inclusive and creative city that celebrates and embraces its vibrancy of cultures.
Walking the tree lined streets, we pay respect to the influence of the Nation’s First Peoples past and living on a modern, sustainable and interconnected way of life that supports good health and wellbeing of all.
The Shaping Stonnington People’s Panel established six principles to help us achieve and live to this vision:
- Stonnington is a modern city that maintains heritage sites and its cultural identify whilst embracing progressive development, which supports its local businesses and encourages creative initiatives.
- Protect biodiversity, take climate action and purse eco-friendly ways of living, guided by the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
- Stonnington’s ambition is to be a caring, compassionate and supportive city for all members of the community.
- Stonnington will have strong governance and diverse representative leadership, which enhances open two-way communication.
- Stonnington’s public spaces will provide the ability for all members of the community to experience and enjoy the natural environment.
- We provide access to a variety of quality services and amenities for everyone within 20 minutes.
The Stonnington Community Vision 2040 and feedback from the wide range of community consultation activities is now being used to develop our Council Plan 2021-25 which will be released for community feedback in the second half of 2021. You can read about the Council Plan 2017-21 below.
Council Plan 2017-2021
Adopted on 5 June 2017, the Council Plan 2017-2021 is our key strategic document that guides Council’s vision, direction and service priorities.
That Stonnington will be an inclusive, healthy, creative, sustainable and smart community.
Implementing the vision
Council's vision will be implemented through our key pillars:
The four pillars reflect the shared priorities of our community and Council and are consistent with our proud history and vision for a liveable future.
For each pillar, there is a framework which expresses our strategies, actions and measures which outline the key services and projects to be delivered to our community.
The Strategic Resource Plan sets out how Council will provide the resources needed to implement the strategies and actions of the Council Plan.
Council Plan 2017-2021
Council Plan 2017-2021 (Year 4)(PDF, 4MB)
Council Plan 2017-2021 (Year 3)(PDF, 2MB)
Council Plan 2017-2021 (Year 2)(PDF, 1000KB)
Council Plan 2017-2021 (Year 1)(PDF, 4MB)
Council Plan 2017-2021 (Snapshot)(PDF, 4MB)