Get to know your community—how it looks today and what it's predicted to be like in the future. Find out our population, who we are, where we're from, what we do and how we live.
Our profile information is based on the resulted of the 2016, 2011, 2006, 2001, 1996 and 1991 Censuses of Population of Housing and is updated when the Australian Bureau of Statistics releases new figures.
Explore our local business economy, how many of are employed, where we work, how we get there, and more.
View our economic profile
See how the population, age structure and household types are predicted to change each year between 2016 and 2036.
View our population forecast
View Census data on themed maps that illustrate how specified population groups are distributed across the city.
View our social atlas
StreetCount 2018: A snapshot of people living rough
During StreetCount, volunteers walked the streets meeting people experiencing homelessness and collecting crucial information. It was the first joint count undertaken across the cities of Melbourne, Port Phillip, Yarra, Stonnington, and Maribyrnong.
View the StreetCount 2018 report(PDF, 158KB)
Key findings across the five municipalities:
- 78 per cent were male, and 22 per cent were female
- 54 per cent of people were aged 26-40, with 34 per cent aged 41-60
- 79 per cent were Australian born
- 14 per cent identified as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander
- 35 per cent of people were sleeping on the street, 13 per cent in parks and 48 per cent in various other locations including river banks
- 42 per cent of people surveyed were on the public housing waiting list
- 14 per cent of people surveyed had been transient for more than five years