How to apply
Check if your business needs to be registered
You need to register your business with Council if it will offer the following services:
- ear piercing
- body piercing
- colonic irrigation
- manicures or pedicures
- waxing or threading
- skin beauty treatments, such as facials, laser treatment, dermabrasion, dry needling, foot spa, cosmetic tattooing)
- wigs or hair extensions
- beauty services, such as make-up, spray tan, eyebrow or eyelash tinting, and eyelash extensions.
Confirm your business address
You must confirm the address of your premises before you apply because we can't process your application or provide accurate advice without it.
Request a report on the property you are buying (optional)
If you're buying an existing beauty, hair or health business, we can provide a property report that contains important details including:
- the current registered owner
- information about the current registration, including the annual cost and expiry date
- any non-compliant cleanliness or maintenance items we identified.
Apply for other permits, if required
You can save time by applying for a Building Permit and Planning Permit before registering your beauty, hair or health business. We recommend applying for both at the same time.
If you're not sure what permits you need, use our Permit Finder.
For building or alteration work on most commercial and industrial developments, you will need a Building Permit.
Regardless of the overall cost of the work, this can include:
- new buildings
- shop fit-outs
- alterations and additions to current buildings
- pergolas (roofed), verandahs and shade sails
- decks and balconies
- changes to the use of a building
- minor structures, including garages and sheds
- demolition of existing buildings
- swimming pools, spas or safety barriers.
You may need to apply for a Planning Permit if you plan to:
- carry out building works
- display advertising signage
- increase operating hours
- reduce the number of parking spaces
- change the use of the building.
Prepare your documents
If you're applying for a Fit-out Assessment, you must upload a copy of your plans for the proposed premises showing the use for each room. Plans must be:
- drawn to scale
- at a scale of at least 1:100
- accompanied by specifications for materials and finishes for all surfaces, including floors, walls and bench tops.
The plans must also clearly show:
- all treatment areas
- hand wash basin
- cleaning area and equipment sink
- equipment storage areas
- the layout of all fixtures, fittings and equipment.
For more information, read our construction guidelines.
Submit your application
For a Fit-out Assessment, have payment for the $78 fee ready.
If you prefer a paper or PDF form, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Receive approval for your fit-out
If you applied to have your fit-out plans assessed, we will review the plans and let you know if there are any non-compliant items.
When there are no issues, we'll send you a stamped and approved copy of your plans.
Have your property inspected
We will contact you to organise a time to inspect the property listed on your application.
We'll then send you a report letting you know if your business is compliant or if there are any issues you need to address before a follow-up inspection.
Pay the registration fee
Once your last inspection is successful, you will receive an invoice via email. You can pay for this online.
Receive your Health Business Registration
We will send your Certificate of Registration via email.
You're now ready to trade in the City of Stonnington!