Pay or manage a parking fine

Sign up or log in to infringement portal

Pay a fine

Pay your infringement in full by the date listed on your notice to avoid more fees. There are several ways to pay.


You can create an account to keep track of your infringements or enter the infringement number and offence date to pay without an account.

We accept payment by Visa and Mastercard.

Pay your fine in full now


Phone payments can be made by calling 03 9058 6600.

Follow the prompts and have your infringement number and card details ready.


Send a cheque or money order made out to City of Stonnington to:

PO Box 3095
Melbourne 3001

Don't forget to write your name and infringement number on the back.

Please do not mail cash or credit card details.

In person

You can pay at your local Australia Post office by presenting your infringement notice. We cannot process your payment at our Customer Service centres.

You can pay by cash, cheque, EFTPOS and credit card.

Please note Australia Post outlets cannot accept late payments. If your payment is late, please call 03 9058 6600.

Find your closest Australia Post location on the Australia Post website.

Pay a payment plan instalment

If you have an existing payment plan for your fine, pay online using the link below.

Pay instalment now

View infringement images

City of Stonnington parking officers may take photographs of vehicles when issuing an infringement. The notes officers take at the time are the primary evidence we need to enforce the infringement, but photographs can be helpful as further evidence for everyone involved.

You can view any photographs of your infringement by entering your vehicle registration and infringement notice numbers at the link below.

View infringement images

Appeal a fine

You have the right to appeal or request an internal review of your infringement.

When you apply for an internal review, our staff will look at the details of your infringement and any further evidence you provide.

By law, you can only request one internal review for any one infringement offence, which means you need to provide all the relevant details to help us make a decision.

Your infringement is put on hold until you receive the outcome of your appeal.

Follow the steps below to appeal your infringement.

1. Check if you should apply to Council or Fines Victoria

In most cases, you should apply for review with the City of Stonnington.

If payment is not made after we send a Penalty Reminder Notice, we will register the offence with Fines Victoria. You will receive a letter from Fines Victoria letting you know this has happened. After this point, you need to apply to Fines Victoria directly for an Enforcement Review.

2. Select a reason for review

When you apply for an internal review with the City of Stonnington, you must provide a reason.

Use one of the below reasons for review in your appeal.

  1. Mistake of identity: if you believe you are not the person who committed the offence and that the fine was issued to you by mistake.

    This is not the same as someone else using your vehicle at the time. If this is the case, you must nominate another driver.

    Use this reason if you aren't the person who committed the offence and have evidence to prove it. For example, someone provided your licence or details to the police. Or you have the same name as another person or family member, and the wrong person received the fine.

  2. Exceptional circumstances: the offence occurred due to an extraordinary or unavoidable situation.

    You need to show that the offence occurred due to unexpected circumstances, like a medical emergency or vehicle breakdown.

  3. Person unaware: you were unaware that the infringement notice had been served.

    Use this reason if you found out about the fine in the last 14 days and the fine was not personally given to you by an officer.

    You will need to provide evidence like:

    • a copy of your passport or boarding pass showing you were overseas
    • an invoice from a removalist showing that you moved house
    • a VicRoads address change confirmation
    • a report about mail theft.
  4. Contrary to law, the fine is invalid or improperly issued to you.

    Use this reason if you believe the decision to fine you was inconsistent with the law, invalid or that the officer who issued the fine acted unlawfully, unfairly, improperly or outside their authority.

  5. Special circumstances: you have serious personal issues, disorders or difficulties.

    Special circumstances are defined in the Infringement Act and relate to:

    • a person with a mental or intellectual disability, disorder, disease or illness, or a serious addiction to drugs or alcohol which results in a person being unable to understand the offending conduct or unable to control the conduct
    • homelessness where it results in the person being unable to control the offending conduct
    • family violence where the applicant's circumstances involving family violence resulted in their inability to control the conduct constituting the offence.

For more information about these reasons for review, visit the Fines Victoria website.

3. Write your request for review

All applications for an internal review must be submitted in writing on our online portal or via mail. You need to provide the following information:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Contact number
  • Infringement number
  • Vehicle registration number
  • Date of offence
  • Reason for the appeal

4. Prepare your documents

You will need to provide additional evidence to support your appeal. If you don't, this can influence the outcome.

Common examples include:

  • a letter from a doctor or medical professional
  • a letter of consent if the application is on behalf of a third party
  • police reports
  • evidence of mechanical breakdown, like an invoice from a mechanic or tow truck
  • a copy of your valid ticket if it was not displayed correctly
  • details of your valid Resident or Accessible Parking Permit if it was not displayed at the time.

5. Submit your application

Submit your application for an internal review online. This is the easiest method to ensure you provide everything we need to review your fine.

Apply now

You can also apply via mail, sending your letter and documents to:

City of Stonnington
GPO Box 3095
Melbourne VIC 3001

6. Wait for the outcome of your application

We will notify you of the outcome of your application in writing within 90 days.

If your appeal is successful, you don’t need to do anything further.

If unsuccessful, we will notify you of the new due date for payment.

Nominate a driver

The vehicle's registered owner is responsible for the parking infringement. If you were not driving the vehicle at the time of the offence, you can apply to nominate another driver. If your nomination is successful, the fine will be sent to them.

You can only apply to nominate a driver when the fine is at the Infringement Notice stage or Penalty Reminder Notice stage. Once the fine becomes a Notice of Final Demand, nominating is too late.


To nominate another driver, use the link below to submit your nomination. You will need to make an account, which allows you to follow the progress of your nomination.

Nominate a driver


Download the nomination form(PDF, 92KB).

Complete the form and email it to


Complete the nomination form that’s on the back of your Infringement or Reminder Notice, or download the nomination form(PDF, 92KB).

Once completed, mail the form to:

City of Stonnington
GPO Box 3095
Melbourne VIC 3001

Apply for a payment plan

If you are the registered owner or nominated driver, you can apply for a payment plan online.

This can include:

  • extension of time to pay
  • pay by instalments (fortnightly or monthly).

Apply for a payment plan

Or call 03 9058 6600 to discuss your requirements and apply for a payment plan.

Track status of an appeal

You can check the status of your internal review by logging into the account you made when you submitted it.

Check status

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

What does all the information on my parking infringement notice mean?

Infringement ticket explainer

What if I do not agree with my parking infringement?

If you wish to dispute your parking infringement, you must lodge an application to appeal a fine. You can do this via our online portal or by post.

Who is responsible for paying a parking fine?

The vehicle's registered owner is responsible for the parking infringement.

If you were not the driver at the time of the offence, you can nominate another driver by providing the name and address of the driver.

How long does it take to process my payment?

Payment processing times may vary depending on the method used. If you have paid by card, it may take up to two working days to process. Payments sent via mail may take up to seven working days for delivery and processing.

Note that we cannot accept payment at our Customer Service centres.

What do I do if I have lost my parking infringement notice?

If you have lost your infringement notice and you need the reference number to pay, you can call us on 03 9058 6600. Please have your vehicle registration number ready.

How do I report an illegally parked vehicle?

Tell us about an illegally parked vehicle and request enforcement by calling our team on 03 9058 6600 and select option 1. If a vehicle is obstructing your driveway, please provide your exact address and the offending vehicle’s registration. 

What happens if I do not pay my parking infringement before the due date?

If you do not pay your parking infringement before the due date listed on your infringement notice, you will be sent a Penalty Reminder Notice. This will incur additional costs. 

If the infringement is still unpaid after the next due date, it will be lodged with Fines Victoria for processing and collecting further costs.

For more details on what happens at each stage of the fine’s lifecycle, visit Fines Victoria and download the fines lifecycle infographic(PDF, 1MB) .

What can I do if I'm not happy with the outcome of my appeal?

If your infringement is upheld after an appeal, you will be notified of a new payment due date in writing.

If you wish to contest your infringement further, you can elect to have the matter heard in the Magistrates’ Court. To do this, you will need to complete and submit by post a Request a Court Hearing form which you’ll find on the back of your infringement notice. Or you can download the Request a Court Hearing form(PDF, 92KB).

How do I request a review for an appeal dated between 1 July 2006 and 9 February 2017?

We will reconsider parking infringement appeals that were lodged between 1 July 2006 and 9 February 2017 but were unsuccessful, and the fine was paid.

You can request a review and a possible refund by completing the online form below.

You can also visit a Customer Service centre or one of our libraries to lodge a request.

Note that this process is only for past payments made between 1 July 2006 and 9 February 2017. For current infringements, you need to appeal a fine.

Background information

Before 2017, Tenix (our third-party parking contractor) provided recommendations about infringement reviews before a council officer decided on each request.

In 2017, we improved our processes to make sure we were always following the laws in place about third parties assisting with internal reviews.

If you submit a request for review, we will investigate whether your initial parking infringement appeal was decided by an authorised Council officer exercising their discretion in making the decision. If we find that it wasn't, a refund will be provided.

Where can I view the legislation that relates to parking infringements?

Below is the current legislation that relates to parking infringements:

Visit the Victorian Legislation website for more information.

More information about infringement systems can be accessed from the Department of Justice website.

The materials presented in the above sites are for information purposes only. The information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for assessing their own discussed matters. They are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information and obtain independent advice before acting on any information contained in or in connection with these sites.