Planning Scheme Review
All Victorian local governments are required to undertake a Planning Scheme Review under Section 12B of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 within twelve months of adoption of a new four year Council Plan. The next Planning Scheme Review will commence in mid- to late-2021.
The review will evaluate the Planning Scheme to ensure alignment with current State and local policy directions, as well as identify any outstanding actions from the last review conducted in 2018.
The last review of the Stonnington Planning Scheme was finalised in 2018, as required under the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
The review assessed the Planning Scheme against the Council Plan 2017-2021 and Plan Melbourne 2017-2050, and evaluated whether the Scheme was relevant, cohesive and aligned to State and local policy directions. The review also incorporated information from various stakeholder groups such as senior City of Stonnington officers, state government agencies and departments, and members of the community.
An inventory of actions was then developed and categorised for the short, medium and long term.
Key themes focussed on in the review were:
- Residential housing
- Open space
- Heritage and neighbourhood character
- Activity centres and growing jobs
- Liquor licencing
- Trees and canopy cover
- The environment, the Yarra River and creek corridors
The Planning Scheme Review recommended the following:
- Review flooding at Lomond Terrace, the Malvern East golf course and the Boulevard.
- Correct zoning anomalies relating to Public Use Zone land.
- Monitor liquor licencing in the Activity Centre Zone.
- Implement the findings of the Urban Forest Strategy.
- Undertake a Housing Strategy.
- Monitor the overall supply of public housing in the municipality to ensure no reduction in total numbers.
- Update the Cycling Strategy and Sustainable Transport Strategy for Stonnington.
- Undertake a comprehensive review of the Municipal Strategic Statement.
- Review the Public Realm Strategy.
- Address existing gaps in heritage protection and, if significant, include in the Heritage Overlay.
View Stonnington Scheme Review Report - May 2018(PDF, 7MB)
What is a Planning Scheme Review
The document below, also available on the Victorian Government's Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website, explains what a Planning Scheme Review is and suggests a process for conducting and reporting a review.
View Planning Practice Note 32: Review of Planning Schemes(PDF, 213KB)
Reference and incorporated documents to the Stonnington Planning Scheme
To come ....