How to apply
Receive your Food Registration
You need to apply for Food Registration and Plans Approval before you can apply for a Footpath Trading Permit.
Prepare your documents
Prepare the documents you may need to submit with your application.
This depends on the type of Footpath Trading Permit but you may need the following:
- Certificate of Currency for public liability insurance covering a minimum of $20 million.
- Completed aerial site plan, including position of Council assets as well as the layout of furniture including chairs, tables, umbrellas, heaters and other items. All site plans must be an appropriate scale (1:100 or 1:200).
- Completed elevation site plan, including position of all Council assets. All site plans must be an appropriate scale (1:100 or 1:200). Please refer to the example site plans for outdoor dining(PDF, 304KB) and goods trading(PDF, 359KB) applications.
- Three photos of the premises showing the front and adjacent properties, including parking signage and infrastructure, as well as the location of Council parking signs and assets.
- Letter of consent from adjacent ground level business owner, body corporate and/or occupier. If the adjacent property is vacant, you’ll need a letter of consent from the owner of the property.
Complete the application
Complete the application and pay online.
The application fee is $75. The permit fee depends on the length of your outdoor space and whether your location is designated as a busy area or other area type.
Receive the outcome
You will hear from Council via email about your application, which can be accepted, rejected or accepted with conditions.
Receive your permit
If Council accepts your application, you will receive your permit sticker in the mail. You may also receive the sticker from a Council officer when they complete the final inspection. The sticker must be stuck to the front window of your premises.
Council officers will make regular inspections to make sure you meet all permit conditions.