Tree works

Tree assessment and issue of Tree Works Permits (for works on private land) are not currently available under Stage 4 COVID-19 restrictions. 

If you are planning to prune or remove a tree on your property you may need to get a permit first. 

Protecting significant trees 

Local Law protection 

We have a General Local Law that protects significant trees on private land. 

Under the Local Law you must obtain a Tree Works Permit before any works (pruning or removal) are undertaken on a tree deemed to be 'significant'.

You must first determine if your tree is deemed 'significant' and, if it meets the criteria, you must obtain a Tree Works Permit.

To determine if your tree is deemed 'significant' refer to pages 57 and 58 of the General Local Law: Part 14 - Tree protection

Need a Tree Works Permit?

To apply for a permit visit the Tree Works page.

Apply for a tree works permit

Planning Scheme protection

The Stonnington Planning Scheme applies tree controls over two specific areas within the city:

  1. Yarra (Birrarung) River Corridor Environs, and
  2. Hedgeley Dene Precinct

The areas subject to tree controls are highlighted on the maps:

Important: If you live in one of these areas you must obtain planning approval before pruning or removing any tree.

For planning permit requirements please email the Planning Services team or call the City on 8290 1333.