Many properties have an easement registered on the title. There are two types of easements:

  • Regulatory easements held by council or a service authority such as an electricity supplier.
  • Private easements created by a landowner for access over a neighbour’s land such as a shared driveway.

Where Council has authority you can apply to us directly for consent to build over the easement. Refer to the Report and Consent page to apply.

If Council doesn’t have authority over the easement, you must obtain consent directly from the relevant service authority or landowner. Refer to your title to see who has that authority.

Sewerage and drainage easements

Sewerage and drainage easements are common types of easements. Drainage easements are held by councils and are usually sited along the side or rear of the property, and may contain drains which service several adjacent properties.

Note: We are not likely to consent to building works over drains unless there is long-term access to that site for maintenance and eventual replacement. We may however provide consent to the siting of lightweight structures such as carports or sheds, and any consent we provide will likely include conditions designed to protect the long-term integrity of the asset.